Most skeletons are mindless automatons, but a select few have free will and autonomy, and find themselves on the path of adventure. Small flames hover in a skeleton’s eye sockets, and their voices have a strange character, either high and shrill or dull and seeming to echo from a great distance.
- XP progression, armor, weapons, attacks, and saves as fighter
- Max level 4
- Natural AC as light armor if unarmored
- Fourth level skeletons are known as skeleton heroes
The general creepiness of talking to an obviously undead creature gives skeletons a -2 reaction roll penalty in polite society.
When reduced to zero HP, a skeleton falls apart (no save is allowed). However, if the bones are not scattered or smashed into powder, the skeleton will reassemble after one exploration turn passes. If the referee is uncertain, intelligent enemies have a base 2 in 6 chance to destroy skeleton remains following a battle where the skeleton’s remains are left behind.
Additionally, skeletons are not easily damaged by all attacks. When hit, the damage taken depends upon the type of weapon, and is:
- 1 damage from piercing weapons
- Half damage (round down) from slashing weapons (includes claws)
- Full damage from bludgeoning or crushing attacks (included bites)
Skeletons do not require sustenance, do not need to breathe, and are immune to sleep and charm magic.
Like all undead, skeletons are vulnerable to being turned or commanded (as an undead of HD equal to their level). However, PC skeletons have exceptional power of will, and are thus additionally permitted a saving throw versus any turn effects. Skeletons may reconstitute as described above following D (“destroyed”) results.
Thanks to Jason Z. and Roger G. S. for suggestions regarding appropriate images.
2014-06-14: mods for skeleton without level limits:
- Class: choose fighter or magician
- HP: divide by two, round up (after mods) to represent fragility
- No save at zero HP or negative HP (skeleton just falls apart)
- Reconstitute after one turn with chance 5 in 6 (ignore stuff about smashing bones)
So there is a 1 in 6 chance of final death any time you are reduced to 0 HP and otherwise you come back after 1 turn.