So I don’t think it is entirely unwarranted to begin discussion about the necromancer in 2E. The 2E Necromancer requirements are (from Table 22: WIZARD SPECIALIST REQUIREMENTS in the 2E PHB): human, 16 wisdom, opposed to the illusion and enchantment/charm schools.
2E spells in the Necromancy school: cantrip (1st), chill touch (1st), detect undead (1st), spectral hand (2nd), feign death (3rd), hold undead (3rd), vampiric touch (3rd), contagion (4th), enervation (4th), animate dead (5th), magic jar (5th), summon shadow (5th), death spell (6th), reincarnation (6th), control undead (7th), finger of death (7th), clone (8th), energy drain (9th).
That’s not very many.
- Grodog’s necromancer NPC class (PDF)
- Footprints #14 contains an article of a necromancer class (PDF)
- Grognardia: The Necromancers of Dwimmermount (Part I)
- Grognardia: The Necromancers of Dwimmermount (Part II)
- Grognardia: The Necromancers of Dwimmermount (Part III)
- Grognardia: N is for Necrofacture
- Skull Crushing for Great Justice: Good Old Necromancers
- Full (legal) text of The Empire of the Necromancers, by Clark Ashton Smith at The Eldritch Dark
- d20 SRD Necromancer Variants
- d20 SRD Animate Dead spell
- Early look (Heromeblog) at Darker Paths 1: The Necromancer by BRW Games
- The City of Iron blog: Labyrinth Lord Necromancer Class (PDF) (and see the posts tagged necromancer)
- Animate Dead (Yes, it’s a Magic: The Gathering card.)
- Drudge Skeletons
- Necromancer with Skeletons by Richard Mark Huffman (Elfwood)
- Necromantic Rambles blog: banner art
- Road of Knives move 1: necromancer by Zak Smith